SPORTS MASSAGE £35
Sports and remedial massage is the assessment, treatment/manipulation and rehabilitation of the bodies' superficial and deep soft tissues. Soft tissue refers not only to the muscles but the tendons and ligaments that hold us all together too.
Sports and remedial massage is effective for both acute injuries and chronic aches and pains that may appear to have no real cause at all.
You do not have to be an elite athlete to enjoy the benefits either; so much soft tissue discomfort is fuelled by incorrect posture or prolonged periods of sitting at a desk, for example. Furthermore, for the athletes and sportspeople it is a great method for addressing minor niggles before they become performance limiting injuries. In addition, physical assessment will help to identify areas of weakness which could otherwise lead to further problems in the future.
An initial assessment is essential before undergoing Sport and Remedial Massage treatment to enable correct and thorough postural and soft tissue examination.
Effects and Benefits of sports massage
- Faster recovery rate from sports injury
- Enhance the elimination of metabolic by-product (eg. lactic acid) and toxins
- Decreased stress and muscle tension
- Improved range of movement and muscle flexibility
- Loosening of tight muscles and connective tissues
- Improving muscle tone, cellulite and water retention
- Easing of muscle pain
- Improve blood flow and circulation
- Mental and physical relaxation
- Lymphatic drainage
After receiving a Holistic treatment it is very important to rest and relax as much as possible, practice deep breathing exercises and relax your shoulders.
Drinking plenty of water or even herbal teas will help flush out any toxins released by your treatment, this will help reduce any Contra Actions, making the treatment more beneficial.
Contra Actions/side Affects are usually only minor and will usually pass in 24 hours after which you will more than likely feel calmer and better in yourself.
- Stiffness, aching muscles, tiredness
- frequent visits to the toilet, this allows your body to get rid of waste
- Runny nose / coughing, this allows your body to get rid of toxins headache your body is in a repairing phase and might take some time to re-adjust.
- Have a heavy meal after a treatment - allow 4-6 hours. Your body is in a healing state and is thus resting - massage stimulates the digestive system and therefore might make you feel nauseous.
- Drink a lot of caffeine drinks (tea, coffee, red bull) or stimulants - allow 12-24 hours. Alcohol might cause dehydration.
- Smoke - allow 12-24 hours.
- Rush around - exercise vigorously - allow a few hours. This will limit the effects of the massage.
- Relax for a while after a treatment. Have a bath to continue the relaxation process or listen to soft relaxing music.
- Give feedback to the therapist about the treatment
- Wrap up warmly. You might feel cold after a treatment.
- Take care when driving home as your reflexes might be slower. You may feel faint or tired.
- Drink plenty of water, fruit juice or herbal teas. Your body might have been drained of lymphatic waste and
- Toxins which may result in being thirsty and the water will help flush all the waste and toxins away. Water
- Will help the detoxifying process and to hydrate your body.
- Pay attention to general posture. Sitting and walking up straight is of importance.
- Have a nap or rest if you can - it will make the muscles relax and make the massage last longer.